1939-1940 – The War comes to Southampton

Southampton had already come under enemy attack before the Supermarine Works were finally put out of action in late September 1940, and the city was to suffer further and more devastating attacks in the months to come. Yet, amidst it all, the city and the Spitfire survived.

Woolston September 1940

Dispersed across the city and surrounding area in hastily requisitioned workshops and buildings, using a workforce often made up of men and women with little or no engineering experience, it is a remarkable testament to the spirit and ingenuity of the population that they were able to continue.

Getting the Spitfire Into Production

Production was not easy. Supermarine was used to making a small number of finely crafted aircraft, now they had to produce hundreds, fast!

To meet demand the Woolston Works had been expanded and modernised. A new factory, the Itchen Works, was built just up the road and sub-contractors, like Follands in Hamble, were employed to make many of the parts of the planes.

Once all of the parts; the fuselages, wings, tail and engines were finished, they would be transported by lorry to Eastleigh where “final assembly” and flight testing would be performed before the finished Spitfires were flown to their RAF aerodromes by the Air Transport Auxiliary.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk1

By May 1940, the start of the “Battle of Britain”, every Spitfire “scrambled” to face the enemy had been built by Supermarine in the Southampton area.

That had not been the plan.

A massive Shadow Factory had been built before the war, at Castle Bromwich in the midlands, to mass produce Spitfires. Castle Bromwich had the space and tools Woolston didn’t, it was also further away from enemy attack, but as the Battle of Britain began they had still failed to deliver a single aircraft!

The RAF, and Britain, had to rely on the men and women in Southampton.


The Woolston Works were vulnerable, very vulnerable. Their location on the banks of the Itchen, alongside the naval shipbuilder Thorneycrofts and across from the docks and gas works, made it a prime target for the Luftwaffe. Everyone knew it. The air raid shelters, on Peartree Green, were too far away and took time to reach, during which the workforce were exposed and vulnerable.

On 23rd August 1940 a German raid had caught Supermarine Workers out in the open. Joan Tagg, a clerk in the Accounts Department on the fourth floor of the Woolston Works, recalled the events of the day in her diary:

“Very busy at work this morning, but peaceful. However, after dinner, anything but. After an air raid warning we began our trek to the shelters as usual. We had just reached the railway bridge (in Sea Road) when the guns started firing. We began to run and it was very frightening as the gunfire was terrific and we heard the planes overhead. We still had some way to go, so each time we heard the whistle of a bomb, we threw ourselves down beside the railway bank, then ran on and fell down again each time we heard a bomb falling. Someone shouted “They’re machine gunning” so we didn’t wait to find out but quickened our pace even more. When we finally reached the shelter our legs and arms were stinging – not machine gun bullets, but the result of falling in the stinging nettles on the railway bank. We had not noticed them at the time, but once inside the shelter we suffered. As we looked out we saw German Planes having fun shooting at the barrage balloons, which then came down in flames. We discovered later that bombs had hit houses in the Obelisk Road area of Woolston. Bombs also fell into the river and on buildings on the town side of the river.”

Pilson, I – More Memories of Bitterne

However, on the very day that Joan and her colleagues had been caught in the open and despite the clear danger it presented Lord Beaverbrook, Minister for Aircraft Production, ordered aircraft workers to remain at work when the civilian air raid sirens sounded. As Joan recalled

“We have now heard that because so much time is being lost at work, we are only to get the warning to leave when danger is imminent! This means that we shall have even more perilous gallops to the shelters having come down several flights of stairs from the fourth floor.”

For Beaverbrook the impact that the frequent trips to the shelters was causing on aircraft production (not just at Supermarine but on all of the aircraft manufacturers) was too great and whatever the risk to the workforce production had to be maintained.

For Joan this was just another pressure on a workforce increasingly feeling the pressure

“I must admit that I am getting rather jittery, being constantly on the alert and am also feeling the effects of disturbed nights. Even though planes many not be overhead we do hear gunfire and are constantly up and down to the shelter. “

However vulnerable the workers or the factory might be, the impact of any move on production was considered too high a price to pay. For the time being the workers would have to stay put and hope.

By September 1940 that luck had began to run out.

11th September – Eastleigh,

On 11th September a raid on the airport at Eastleigh narrowly missed both the Supermarine hangars, where Spitfire Final Assembly was being completed, and Flight Shed.

Unfortunately, although the Supermarine buildings escaped the neighbouring Cunliffe Owen factory was not so lucky. Bombs falling on the factory causing serious damage and killing 52 workers.

Southampton Airport. Oct 1940 With bombed Cunliffe Owen factory in the foreground and Supermarine Final Assembly Hangars at the top of the picture

15th September – Woolston

A few days later, at 17:29 on Sunday 15th September air raid sirens sounded over Southampton as a force of some thirty aircraft, half of them bombers, attacked the Supermarine Works from the east.

The air raid missed the Supermarine works, causing minimal damage to the Works themselves, but many of the estimated twelve tons of explosives devastated the surrounding houses; 125 homes were destroyed or badly damaged and over 1,000 homes were damaged in some way.

Southampton Blitz - Woolston - Bridge Rd
Bridge Road, Woolston, September 1940

23 H.E. bombs & 1 incendiary bombs (oil) were dropped by 15 enemy bombers, escorted by 15 fighters at 17:50/15/9, on the S.W. corner of WOOLSTON WARD.

Casualties: a. [Killed] 9, b. [Seriously injured] 19, c. [minor injury] 23

Damage to property: a [destroyed] 34, b. [seriously damaged] 81, c. [damaged] 351, d. [light damage] 755


The planes came in from the Southward & made their attack from a height of 1000 to 8000 feet steering a Westerly course. They were fired at by our A.A. guns before & while attacking & were engaged by our fighters after dropping their bombs. […] The damage done to property was tremendous. It was confined entirely to small shops & small houses. No important buildings being affected. No damage to any military objective, though the windows in the Supermarine works were broken. It is presumed the attack was intended for Supermarine & Thorneycrofts.

The casualties were extraordinarily few for such an attack, partly no doubt because being Sunday there were not many people about.

The following roads were completely blocked by craters: Bridge Rd. on both sides of the bridge, Inkerman Rd & Garton Rd

Extracts from Southampton ARP report for Woolston at 17:50 on Sunday 15th Sept 1940

It was a sign of things to come but production had to continue. The superficial damage caused to the factory only resulted in a single night-shift being lost as the Works were made “light-tight”.

These raids had however made the management and government finally realise that something had to be done, and quickly!

A plan was set in motion to requisition suitable workshops and premises to prepare for a ‘dispersal’ of production in and around Southampton. Some stores had already been moved to nearby villages at Botley and Bishops Waltham and provision for the Accounts to move to Deepedene House was underway.

Two garages, Lowther’s and Hendy’s, were requisitioned along with the Hants & Dorset Bus Depot (Bus Depots were needed as they had the roof space required to make the wings) on Winchester Road in Shirley.

Workers began the careful task of moving jigs (the vital frames needed to make the actual aircraft assemblies like fuselages and wings) and the tooling machines to the new locations.

Initially the jigs and tools that were moved were ‘spares’. Despite the risk it was still vital that production continue.

There was also some resistance to the requisitioning of the Hants & Dorset Bus Depot as this had already been requisitioned by the local A.R.P. to store sandbags and other fire fighting equipment and Supermarine were not able to move in immediately.

24th September – Itchen

Aftermath of the attack on the Itchen Works, 24th September 1940

At 13:30 on Tuesday 24th September the Luftwaffe returned to Southampton. As Anti-Aircraft guns rang out across the Town seventeen German bombers had already begun to drop an estimated fifteen tons of High Explosive on the eastern shore of the Itchen.

As on the 15th, little or no warning was given. So unexpected was the raid that the Town’s Air Raid Warning was only raised to RED a full six minutes after the bombers had begun their attack, the ARP Report remarking “The Red warning had not been sounded, but the staff had taken shelter because of A.A. fire” and the bombs were already falling as the Supermarine Workers attempted to reach their designated Air Raid shelters.

The A.R.P. report for the incident stated, “This was certainly a determined attack by a formation on the aircraft firm’s premises on the East side of the river.” and “The objective was certainly Supermarine (Incident No.45) but although the formation dropped most of its load on this target, it was broken up by A.A. fire & by our fighters, & some bombs were scattered in other areas.”

In total a force of thirty-seven bombers with fighter escorts, attacked the Gas Works and Electricity Power stations in Chapel and near the Central Railway Station, on the western side of the river Itchen, as well as Supermarine’s Itchen Works on the eastern bank.

Phil Pearce, a young sheet metal worker at the time recalled the events (the following extracts were recorded as part of the “Out of the Shadows” oral history project with thanks to Brian Chalk for the extracts):

“The bombing took place in September 1940 and I had not long celebrated my 18th birthday.  I remember hearing the sirens sounding and almost instantaneously the ground shaking and I heard loud explosions.  My work bench was on a balcony that ran around the sides of the building and I had to access the exits by way of a staircase.  I got half way down the stairs and saw a very large press which I felt would give me more protection, so I quickly crawled under it as there was no way we could risk leaving the building with the bombing already underway.
Another worker joined me under the bench and during a lull in the attack we plucked up the courage to make a dash for the shelters.  These were built above ground on the edge of Peartree Common next to the railway line but to get to them we had to leave the relative safety of our bench and cross a road and go through a tunnel under the railway.”

The air raid shelters were a long row of surface shelters erected in the meadow to the east of the railway line on Peartree Green. To reach them workers had to funnel through a narrow passage under the railway embankment separating Peartree Green from the Itchen Works on Hazel Road. The lack of warning and the distance to the shelters was to have tragic consequences.

Phil Pearce continued …

“When we exited the factory, we were shocked to see that the railway tunnel had received a direct hit and all that was left was a heap of rubble.  We later learned that many of our co-workers who were in the shelters had been killed – so fate had meant we had survived.”

“As we were now in the open we quickly searched for some form of shelter and we could only find a small section of beach alongside the river between our factory and the next building, so we laid down there.  Soon after, I heard an aircraft and looking up saw a German bomber flying very low over the river and the next thing I knew was the shingle on the beach flying up around me and I could see the rear gunner as he was strafing the area.  It all happened so fast and the plane soon flew on down the river and out into the Solent.  Thinking back, I am sure that if the Itchen Bridge had been built then the pilot would have had to fly under, that’s how low the plane was.”

“It was nothing short of a miracle that we escaped unharmed for the second time that day.”

Shelter and Tunnel hit

Again little major damage was done to the Works themselves but more devastating was that a stick of bombs had fallen straddling the railway embankment. One air raid shelter suffered a direct hit and workers still trying to reach the shelters, were caught out in the open trying to shelter in the passage under the railway embankment,

Many were buried alive, and the scenes of carnage were never forgotten by those who witnessed it. Denis Webb, working in the Supermarine Woolston Works at the time, later recalled that

“Elliott suggested that I scramble over the railway embankment to see if there was anything I could do and when I did so I could see the full tragedy. The bombs had missed the target (the Works) as usual and instead had landed on some of the shelters which in one case had turned into a heap of soil and sand with arms and legs sticking out. Rescuers were already desperately digging in the hopes of that some people might get out alive.”

Photograph of Supermarine Shelters taken on 26th September 1940 showing workers still at the devastated Air Raid Shelters and railway embankment, and the damaged Itchen Works.
Image courtesy Southampton City Archives

The raid was also recorded in their diary by another Southampton resident.

“Fine all day, but some heavy cloud at times. Rather cold. Evening fine and clear. Worked until seven this evening. Soon after dinner heavy gunfire suddenly developed without warning. Everyone rushed to shelter, but on looking out of the shop door I saw a crowd of bombers nearly overhead. I yelled out to the others and dived under a bench, just as the first bomb fell, the explosion rocking the shop. Three or four more bombs fell nearby, and as soon as the planes had passed over I rushed out and saw just up the road at Quayside a heap of debris. With a war reserve policeman I ran up and found that a bomb had demolished the end of a shelter in Rheas yard, and one or two men were trapped. I ran back to the yard for shovels and called the others and soon a willing band were digging them out. Three men were taken to hospital, while most of the others had superficial wounds. Bombs had fallen on various parts of the town, including the Supermarine. I was worried for a time about Bill. Later in the day another raid took place and more bombs were dropped in Woolston. Later I heard that Cramers house in Radstock Road was down also bombs were dropped on Pear Tree Green. When I arrived home I found that Bill had been trapped in a shelter at the Super but had dug himself out. He had a slight head wound. He was unable to tell me much of what had happened but he fears many are dead.”

Another worker, sheet metal worker Harold Snook, was also buried alive and had to be dug out by rescuers. His son recalled how he had been greeted by his rescuers with the comment that “if they’d known it was him they’d have left him there!” The grim gallows humour reserved for truly horrific situations.

Others were not so lucky.

Around twenty-nine men & women were killed that day at or near Supermarine’s Itchen Works, the wounded and dead brought to the First Aid Posts at White’s Shipyard, slightly further up the Itchen from the Works, and then the bodies transferred to a makeshift mortuary at the Itchen Secondary School.

The oldest was 59 year old Charles Strugnell. The youngest: 14 year old ‘Shop Boy’ Douglas Cruikshank. The Town Clerk’s record of Civilian War Dead indicating that Douglas’s body had not been recovered from the rubble until the following day.

Also amongst the dead was ‘Peggy’ Moon, a popular young clerk who had been known to Cyril Russell and his workmates as ‘The Girl in Green’, who had been killed sheltering under the railway.

It is hard to be precise as to exactly how many Supermarine Workers were killed in the raid for several reasons. The numbers listed often vary between sources and who was a “Supermarine” worker is not always clear, for example the Town Clerk’s record of those killed (Death Due to War Operations records, and on which the CWGC records were based) include casualties recorded at White’s Shipyard, and although two of the seven bombs did land in White’s some of those recorded there were definitely Supermarine Workers. With these reservations the following list is based on those in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

Name AgeMore …
BAINESLeonard Hayes35
BARFOOTRonald Charles18
BEDFORDAlfred Douglas28
BLONDWilliam Alfred34
COOKAlfred John37
COXLeonard Herbert20
EVANSEvan Eiryn William29
GEDDESLeslie Stuart34
HAWKINSMervyn Joseph16
HOMERThomas Frederick48
LAWRENCERonald Frank24
MINESArthur Richard44
MOONMargaret Annie20The Girl in Green
MULLISWalter Henry34
NOYCEHenry John32
OLSENJohn Gilbert29More…
PETTSAlfred Charles22
PICKETTHarry Arthur23
STONELeslie Herbert31
STRUGNELLCharles Frederick59
THORNEPhilip James John35
THWAITESHenry Godfrey50
WATERSSydney Albert Richard40
WEBBLeonard William43
WOODARDRonald Ernest34

Although it was the 1:30 pm raid that was to cause the most devastating loss of life even as the workers struggled to rescue their colleagues the Germans returned.

Cyril Russell recalled a photo-reconnaissance aircraft causing a degree of panic amongst the rescuers …

“I can recall the sirens sounding a warning and remember seeing a German aircraft about a mile away travelling south, obviously a photo-reconnaissance plane, who collected a few bursts from the anti-aircraft guns.
Thinking this was a prelude to another attack some, including me, started to move away, but a chap from the Design Office stood on top of the shelter and called out “Never mind them, let’s have you all here!” I have always admired that man for that, as panic and flight was stopped dead in its tracks by his solo example of leadership at that moment.”

Russell, C, Spitfire Odyssey p.74

… and at 16:23 a further wave of bombers attacked the Woolston area. Again, they failed to accurately target the Supermarine Works, instead devastating homes and properties in a 500 yard area around Alisa Lane.

By the end of the day, Southampton had lost 42 dead, 65 seriously injured and a further 98 with minor injuries., but worse was still to come for both Supermarine and the Town.

26th September – Woolston & Itchen

Woolston from above after raid
Bombed-out Woolston Works. The Supermarine on the eastern side of Hazel Road have been cleared but the photograph shows the relatively intact Office Block and the main factory buildings cleared.
Photograph C. Sweetingham

Two days later, at 16:30 on Thursday 26th September, the Germans returned, hitting both the Itchen and the Woolston Works as well as the Gas Works and Docks on the other side of the river.

In the intervening days more of the vital tools and jigs had been removed to newly requisitioned locations like Seward’s garage, where workers involved in the move could only watch from the roof of the garage as the German planes attacked their colleagues in Woolston.

This time the attack involved over sixty bombers with fighter escorts.

Riveter “Dinks” Diaper recalled

“There was hardly any time between when the air raid siren sounded and the bombs started falling. I came running out of the factory’s F-Shop onto Hazel Road. Then up Sea Road under the railway arch. The resident publican of the “Red Lion” would leave the cellar doors open on the forecourt and I dived down into it for shelter”

For young wages clerk Ellie Dewey the raid came only a matter of weeks after joining the company. Forced to wait to leave the factory, because of the bottleneck as workers struggled to get out through the doorway to the new office block, the bombs were already falling as she reached Hazel Road. Diving for cover a male colleague threw himself on her to protect her from the blasts and debris. Her next memory was sitting in one of the long air raid shelters as dead and wounded workers were brought in.

She, however, was fortunate. For many others, caught in the open, en route to the shelters or hiding in a personal place of safety (often simply as far away from ‘The Works’ as possible) time had run out as the bombs began to fall. One group had sought shelter under a ‘railway arch’ close to the Works. Sadly the arch was to prove no protection and at least six people were killed there trying to escape the bombs.

Although the fabric of the factories was badly damaged and some aircraft destroyed (including the prototype four engine bomber), miraculously most of the vital jigs and tools still in the works were undamaged, but it was clear the days of the Woolston and Itchen Works were numbered.

Spitfire The History _67

Considering the ferocity of the raid it is remarkable that ‘only’ around seventeen workers were killed, despite another shelter taking a direct hit. In part the fear of being killed in one of the shelters, as on the 24th, had led to many workers to ignore the shelters, choosing instead to find their own, “safer”, areas away from the works, like on the top of Peartree Green, and as a result the destroyed shelter was empty.

In total some fifty-five men, women and children were killed in the raid on Southampton with the Gas Works, Docks and Melbourne Street on the western side of the river taking the worst of the attack.

Melbourne Street 26/09/1940
Image courtesy Southampton City Archives

Arriving soon afterwards Lord Beaverbrook, the Minister for Aircraft Production, ordered the immediate abandonment of the Works on the Itchen and a full dispersal of production.

Woolston had paid a heavy price. Not only had the works been made unusable much of the surrounding area had been destroyed, Itchen Ferry effectively ceasing to exist. But it had done what was required. 

By the time it was abandoned the Shadow Factory at Castle Bromwich was finally producing aircraft. The dispersal, against all odds, proved a remarkable success, spreading out from Southampton to Trowbridge, Salisbury, Reading and beyond. However, in the vital days when Britain most needed the Spitfire, it was the workers of Woolston who had delivered, for many having paid the ultimate price:

Name Age





George Edward






Kenneth Henry



Stanley Walter



Harry Ernest


HARRISArthur George John32


Alfred James






Louis Edward Harold





John Hughes
The Fatal Railway Arch


Percival William


LOOKERDonald Maxwell31





Kenneth James



Roland Aster


PRICEHerbert Edward32


Walter James


WATERSSydney Albert40

28 Replies to “1939-1940 – The War comes to Southampton”

  1. My grandfather philip james john thorne was amongst the victims who lost there lives that fateful day.my father was 11 years old it left a raw thing for dad rest of his own life.so sad i was blessed to hv my dad for 62 years of my life and dread to think how a 11 year old boy wud feel losin his father to the war.dad was very bitter towards germans all his life and yes it did affect him growin up.

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Hi Paul,

      Thank you for your post. It is very easy to forget the very real tragedy that lies behind a simple list of names or the description of a historical ‘event’. Your post reminds us of the sacrifice made by so many in those dark days.

      I hope it’s OK to ask but I would like to be able to make sure Philip is more than just a name. The aim of this site is to try to tell who the people were. If you would be willing to do so I’d would like to be able to tell a little more of his story. If that is OK please let me know, either here or you can send a private message via the Contact page.

      Many thanks again for your post.

      Liked by 1 person

  2. I worked as an apprentice late 1950 s with Harold Snook. He described the air raid that destroyed Supermarine Works Woolston .It happened at the change over of shifts. The worst time .He was on his motor bike coming along by the railway when he could hear bombs exploding behind him following the line of the river. He drove under a cutting in the railway embankment and could not remember what happed for some time. He was told that after they dug him out he went to help with the injured .His story was backed up by several other workers that I worked with. Many of the workers were women .Harold had 30 working on cowling production with him supervising

    Liked by 3 people

    1. Hi Malcolm,
      Thank you for the post! It’s great to hear the extra detail on the story. I’d be very interested to hear any more of what you remember of your time at Supermarine too!
      All the best


  3. My fathers cousin Harry Pickett was killed in the first raid, the story in the famiy, is that Harry was given permission to run home and tell his mother if there was a raid on , because she was deaf, so on this day , he started running home, as he passed under the railway bridge, a bomb hit, all they found was harry’s spanners, with his name on. Harry’s mother blamed herself, for his death, and put her head in the gas oven, and killed herself. very sad.

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Hi Christopher,
      Thank you for posting such a sad tale, not only of the loss of Harry but the terrible toll it took on his mother too. It’s so important to understand what really happened and this brings it home.
      Thank you

      Liked by 1 person

  4. The picture of bomb damage after the September raid. The man standing on the very left with the white sleeves and hand to his chin was my dad, Hector John Eldridge who worked there. He lived at Portchester Road at the time with his parents and one of his brothers not to far from the factory.

    Liked by 2 people

  5. Thank you so much for this informative narrative. My uncle’s name is on a plaque on a wall somewhere as being one of the many employees killed but I didn’t see his name on your lists. Can you give me further information please. His name is Ernest Keall.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi David.
      Thank you for your comment. I think I can help a little with your uncle and what happened. However, you may be able to help too.
      Ernest W Keall is listed amongst those killed at the Cunliffe-Owen works on 11th September. There is a little reference in the article.
      The original plaque us now in Solent Sky Museum but I believe a new memorial was erected at the site of the factory very recently (I’ll check and get you a picture).
      That does not necessarily mean he was working at Cunliffe-owen as Supermarine had a Flight Shed next door. so you may be able to add more detail?
      I will send you an email later when I have access to my records.
      It would be great to know more about him as all of those who gave their lives should be remembered just as we did for Supermarine recently


      Thanks again for posting


  6. My father Denys Petts has recently passed away, and I found myself here while writing his obit. My dad remembered watching the 24 September 1940 bombing raid from across the Itchen, as a ten year old. His father Albert was injured, and his uncle Alfred Petts (listed above) was killed. Alfred was pulled out of the air raid shelter rubble, having been buried alive, however he passed away shortly after being rescued.
    We still have one of my grandfather’s small hammers that he used while assembling spitfires.

    Liked by 3 people

    1. Hi Alison,
      First may I express my deepest condolences for the loss of your father.
      Second, thank you for your comment and for adding your family’s piece of the ‘Supermarine Story’. I would love to talk to you a little more about Alfred and Albert if it is OK?
      Last September, on the 80th Anniversary, we remembered Alfred amongst those lost during the raids and laid a card and flowers at his grave. There is a little about this on the website https://supermariners.wordpress.com/remembering-the-fallen/ I hope it is of interest.
      All the best

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Thanks for your condolences Dave.

        I’ve just been chatting with my cousin, and he has some more information as he had been chatting about Southampton family history with my father just before Christmas.

        Two days after he was injured in the air raid on 24 September 1940, on 26 September my grandfather Albert had recovered enough to return to the factory to collect his tools, when another air raid took place. He had another close scrape, barely escaping by running through the blazing paintshop.

        After the Supermarine factory was destroyed. The family were moved to Salisbury where my grandfather built the leading edge of the Spitfire wings at Anna Valley Motors. My dad said there was a book about the Spitfire and the factory which contained a photo showing the workforce, including my grandfather, in front of one of the planes. I don’t know which book this was in though.

        My cousin served in the air force at RAF Coningsby, home of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. A PRU spitfire is preserved there and he has since read that all the wings for the PRU Spitfires were built in Salisbury. Nice to know one of our grandfather’s Spitfires is still flying.

        Liked by 3 people

  7. I am trying to find a record of a German bomber that came down in the Winchester area maybe Winchester hill. I was taken by my father to see it and it was still smoking. . Can anyone help me to trace this.? I was about 4 or 5 yrs old . born in 1936 , so maybe 1940 /1941. At school in St Christopher’s near the hospital . Miss Leyton was the head teacher


    1. Hi Margaret
      There were a few German aircraft shot down in the Winchester area. It’s not my particular area but will certainly see if I can help. It is possible it was a Heinkell 111 that came down in a field near King’s Somborne in August 1940


  8. Hi I believe my Grandmother was a member if Admin staff at the Itchen Works, she told me about running whilst being shot at by the Luftwaffe and that a female friend she was running with was killed. Is there a list of staff somewhere please? I would like to see if I can find my Grandmother’s name.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi Sharon.

      Thanks for your message.

      There is no complete list of staff but I am slowly building a record based on recollections and surviving documents. Eventually it will be posted here but for now I would be more than happy to see what we can piece together between us.
      If it’s OK I’ll send you a direct message and we can go from there.

      Thanks again for the post and I look forward to helping you discover more of your grandmother’s story.

      All the best


      1. Hi Dave

        Please do message me, I understand Robert from Spitfire Makers has forwarded on some more information. I know my dear Nan wanted her friend to be remembered.

        Liked by 1 person

      2. Hi Sharon,

        Yes Robert very kindly forwarded me some of the information. it’s really appreciated and I’m writing a reply at the moment.

        I don’t know whether you also found the links but they may be of interest about what your Nan would have gone through.

        The Girl in Green is a little I wrote some time ago on the bombing through the story of Peggy Moon

        “The Girl in Green”

        The BBC World Service series “Spitfire The People’s Plane” (in particular episode one “Phoenix”) is based largely on this story too.

        Spitfire: The People’s Plane

        We also organised a commemoration for those killed on the 80th Anniversary which is covered here…

        All the best


  9. My Great Grandfather Reginald Henry James Bowden was injured in one of these raids whilst running to the shelter. Sadly one of his friends was killed, im not sure of his name. My Grandma told me he never spoke of what happened.


    1. Hi
      Thanks for the comment. I believe your grandfather was what was known as an “Aircraft Holder Up”.
      It sounds a little odd but it’s an old title for a job which was to hold a metal ‘dolly’ in place against a rivet inside the aircraft whilst a riveter riveted it in place.
      I’d love to know more about your Great Grandfather, will send you a message and see what we can discover.
      Thanks again


  10. Thank you so much for writing the account of what happened on the day of the bombings,my family never talked about it now I have a better understanding of what happened to my Uncle and the other poor souls who lost there lives.


  11. “It’s very sad what the supermarine workers went through,the germans,were evil,strafing civilian workers,running to nearby shelters,my late Paternal grandmother,Mrs.Ivy R.Jackson,worked,at nearby Folland’s factory in Hamble,she riveted spitfires,I can’t remember if she said Folland’s was ever bombed whilst she worked,there,she was a widow,of 3 young boys,her husband died young aged 39yrs.of pneumonia,I think in 1940 & she lost their baby son David aged about 20mths.old of febrile convulsions & her elderly mother living in Bolton,Lancs all 3 close relatives lost within 13mths.of each other,yet she still carried on with war work,her elder 2 boys,my Dad Leslie Jackson aged 8yrs.& elder brother Walter aged 12 at time.they lost their Dad & baby brother David & Grandmother still living in Bolton,they never forgot their loss.David only died as result of high temperature developed whilst teething,which caused febrile convulsions GP turned up much too late,maybe cus of war conditions,so although all 3 did not die from bombings etc;maybe ww2 had something to do with conditions at that time,to cause such young deaths.My Dad & his siblings & parents were all born,in Bolton Lancs.only moving here,short period before ww2 started,my grandparents moving here,cus my grandad whom I never knew obviously,moving here for work.My Nan went on to live to her 96th Yr.she died in 1992,my Mum’s family lived in Pinegrove Rd.Sholing,they narrowly escaped being bombed,they ran down garden when bombing started in Woolston,they made it to Anderson shelter & they also gave shelter to there adjoining semi detached cottage neighbours,most likely saving their lives,cus there semi received direct hit,if they’d been in house,they mire than likely would have been killed,my maternal grandparents adjoining semi at 76,Pinegrove Rd,received upstairs damage in a small ball bedroom of either my mother’s,her younger sister or brother,all escaped unscathed,bad damage was done to chimney & fireplace causing huge whole in floor & opened fireplace up,it was still like that long after war until early 1960’s although being partially repaired.


    1. Hi Suzanne,
      My apologies for taking so long to reply. Thank you for your comment and you graphically capture just how horrific it must have been.
      Ivy’s role at Folland Aircraft in Hamble would have been just as important to the war effort as any at Supermarine. They were responsible for making most of the tail sections of the Spitfire.

      I will send you an email if that’s OK as would love to know more about Ivy and everything that happened.

      All the best~Dave


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: